The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster
- Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
- Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon
- Justine (Part I of the Alexandria Quartet) by Lawrence Durrell
- Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy by Carlos Eire
- In the Woods by Tana French
- The Beautiful Thing that Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu
- The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
- A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz
- The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
Kristin Lavransdatter I: The Wreath by Sigrid Undset
- Far Bright Star by Robert Olmstead
- Possession by A.S. Byatt
So where did these come from? Kristin Lavransdatter is one that I started to read a few weeks ago and since it met the criteria, I added it to the list. War and Peace is a crossover from another 2011 challenge and will be read throughout the year. Wallace Stegner is a favorite author of mine and I have two of his books in the TBR stack, so wanted to get through one for this challenge. I've wanted to read Paul Auster's work for quite a while and haven't gotten to it. I heard about the Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell in a lecture presented by Jim Leach, Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities and I was intrigued. (The Quartet consists of four novels all about the same place, events and time, but each one is written from a different character's perspective.) The remaining books I've gotten recommendations for or have read good reviews about and then there they sit on the pile.
I'll be updating this page as I get through the challenge. I don't anticipate being able to complete more than one of these per month, since I have a book group with completely different titles I have to read for, and I teach a college class. I'm looking forward to completing this project and clearing through some of the book rubble that exists in my house!